Ancestral lands of the Mississauga, Attiwonderonk, Anishinabewaki

Jersey artwork © Liam Birch
London
ONTARIO

Official Name: London Canoe Club
Water:
Thames River
Founded:
1974
Telephone:
519-473-2582
Website:
www.londoncanoekayak.ca
Social Media:
Club Colours:
   
ACHIEVEMENTS
   
Greatest Points Total: 2005/2006: 12 (30th)
 
INFORMATION
The London Canoe Club was founded on the Thames River in 1974 although there was a London Canoe Association present in the CCA from 1971 until 1977 (possibly part of the hosting of Ontarios in 1973). The club provides safe and educational paddle sport activities and is a part of the Joe McManus Canoeing and Rowing Facility. Sprint canoeing and kayaking emerged in London in 2001 with the club hosting long distance regattas four years later. The unfortunate demise of the Springbank Dam has forced the sprint arm of the club into hiatus. The bulk of club activity now operates out of Sharon Creek Conservation Area, southwest of the city. There was a London Rowing and Canoe Club in 1891 when that club received its charter from the Ontario Government. Although this likely evolved into the current London Rowing Club, it is notable that canoeing was a part of its original mandate.


Google Maps Link - photograph © Liam Birch