Canoe Club was founded on the shores of
Massawippi Lake in 1895 (A Government of Quebec entry
suggests 1883). The club did not join the Canadian Canoe
Association until about 1911 although a 1909 Toronto Canoe
Club program indicates that the Massawippi club had been
a member at one point prior to 1909. Massawippi had hosted
regattas on the lake before then with other local clubs.
In 1910, the Massawippi club announced in the local newspaper
that a union of canoe clubs in the area might be a wise
move. This would have included the clubs in Massawippi,
Magog, Newport, Knowlton and Little Lake.