Ancestral lands of the Wendake-Nionwentsio, Haudenosaunee


Jersey artwork © Liam Birch

Brockville
ONTARIO

Official Name: Brockville Rowing Club
Former Names:
Brockville Boating Club
Brockville Canoe Club
Water:
St. Lawrence River
Founded:
1894
Founders:
Telephone:
613-342-4849
Website:
www.brockvillerowingclub.ca
Social Media:
Club Colours:
   
ACHIEVEMENTS
INFORMATION

The Brockville Rowing Club dates back to 1884 when the Brockville Canoe Club belonged to the American Canoe Association. They hosted annual regattas, including Dominion Day, 1896. In 1890 BCC reorganised to become the Brockville Boating Club in order to incorporate aquatic enthusiasts of all types. By 1893, the Brockville Amateur Athletic Association was formed by John MacLaren to oversee sporting activities in the town. Avid rowers organized the Brockville Rowing Club in 1894 as a tenant to the B.A.A.A. and absorbed the Brockville Boating Club (the successor to the canoe club) in 1895. Brockville Rowing was one of the founding clubs of the Canadian Canoe Association in 1900 and maintained a strong war canoeing program through to 1902 at which point paddling activities ceased. The club still exists today as one of Canada’s prominent rowing clubs.



Google Maps Link - photograph © courtesy Doug Grant
c1920s
c1930s

100th Anniversary Book
Donald Swayne
photograph © Liam Birch
c2005
Will Dier (CCA Champion 1901) and Brockville teammates
photograph © courtesy Doug Grant
--
photograph © courtesy Brockville Museum

c1897