Canoe Club was founded before 1936, and
officially joined CCA under the green and red colours the
following year (although one athlete medaled in the Junior
C1 in 1936). The club lasted intermittently until 2000 with
a strong presence in the 1970s. Their second CCA entry was
in 1996. In the nineteenth century, canoeing prospered in
the region with an earlier incarnation known as the Peterborough
Boating Club (c1872) which raced in
American Canoe Association regattas on Stony Lake with the
likes of the Lindsay Canoe Club
and the Lakefield Canoe Club.
The Peterborough club hosted their own regattas as
early as 1872. A point of interest is the expectation in
1969 of a formal application from the Stewart-Auburn
Griffin Canoe Club of Peterborough, Ontario.
Nothing else is known about this club or its affiliation,
if any, with the Peterborough Canoe Club.