The
Primrose
Canoe Club was founded in 1890
by a few young gentlemen of Primrose Hill (now known
as Nanny Goat Hill near Primrose Drive). Ed A. Oliver
was Secretary-Treasurer and their first boathouse was
built on the Rideau Canal right at the swing bridge
on Bank St. in a sheltered bay of the canal at the terminus
of the electric railway. This is likely Brown's Inlet
which was open to the canal at that time before the
embankments were reshaped for the Driveway. An extension
was built onto the boathouse in 1892 due to growing
membership and a second extension in 1894 brought the
square footage to 3490. Although the club ordered a
C15 in 1894, it was too late for delivery that year
as they were training for the Ottawa Canoe Club regatta.
The club folded in 1897, after a "good year"
in 1896 due to many members taking up "wheeling."
There were ineffectual attempts to reorganise in the
years following. When Primrose held their regatta in
1895, they used the stretch of canal between the exhibition
grounds and Patterson's creek. This is the exact same
stretch of water where Rideau Canoe
Club would be formed just a few years later in 1902.
It is entirely possible that the founding of Rideau
included former members of the Primrose Canoe Club looking
for a more suitable location on the canal. Beginning
in 1897, the building was rented out as a bath house
by owner E.A. Oliver and by 1903, the Primrose boathouse
had suffered a catastrophic fire.